Dressed for the Market

In odd fantasies, I have imagined myself, 
sent through a handy-dandy gadget 
that makes Julian potatoes. 
Cross-sectioned me, a layer of adipose 
tissue, wrapped in ecto-endo-dermic 
cellophane and skin. A part of me slab-like, 
steak-like, marbled, with a plug of bone 
the dog would quite enjoy. Or possibly 
a breast section; mammary tissue resting 
upon one of the “C” shaped, paired, 
bony, or partly cartilaginous rods, 
that stiffen the walls of the body 
and protect the viscera. That “C” 
shaped gift from Adam, 
that cradles the central or innermost 
part, aortic pump-thing, 
which makes me tick. Or possibly 
a mid-section, with stomachic vessels 
feeding and maybe what my esophagus 
anteriorly communicated there; 
a late lunch or something swallowed 
when the pouch was new, which never did 
pass through; a 1959 penny or one of Mamma’s 
pearls which having rolled down my tongue 
is now forming an oyster in my stomach. 
And I have imagined further and odder still, 
the hands of friends, relatives, or strangers, 
selecting their sections. Stepping from the line, 
hoping for a choice cut of their choice. 
They point through the glass display at a pair 
of thigh pieces, meaty weighty cut from 
a big-boned girl. Me, slaughtered and dressed 
for the market, like the cow, you never knew, 
and so do not hesitate to ask the butcher to wrap.

Followers